Tel: -020 8839 2439 /

Part P: a must for building services installers in 2016

Part P was introduced on January 1st 2005; a move by government to introduce electrical safety rules into Building Regulations for England and Wales, defining the minimum standards for electrical safety with a domestic premises.


Part P of the Building Regulations therefore requires electrical installation work to be inspected and tested, during and on completion, to verify that it is safe and fully complies with BS 7671, protecting homeowners from potential fires and possible electric shocks.


It applies to any changes that have been made to existing installations, including any parts that have been rewired. Back in 2013, amendments were introduced stating that apart from some types of minor work, all electrical work must be reported to the local authority building control or be carried out by an electrician who is with one of the government approved scheme providers, such as NAPIT.


Multi-skilled workforce

Further amendments in 2013 removed the need for those working as kitchen fitters, plumbers and heating engineers to notify their work if it falls within an extension or addition to an existing circuit that is not within a special location. All new circuits or work in special locations must be notified.


Our Domestic Electrical Installer (Part P) course is suitable for any operatives carrying out electrical work (whether full or part) installation in a domestic property. The course and assessment covers all 17 competence areas, including installation, inspection, testing and certification on domestic electrical installation. It also covers the 17th Edition Wiring Regulations and the following modules:

  • Legislation and standards
  • Definitions and basic principles
  • Design specification and cable installation
  • Special locations
  • Mains position
  • Earthing and bonding
  • Safety devices
  • Safe isolation and working practice
  • Power and lighting circuits
  • Inspection, Testing and Certification (both minor works certificate and electrical installation certificates).


For full details, click here.

Back to top