Tel: -020 8839 2439 / enquiries@logic-cert.com
 
News

News

Archive for tag: Gas safety

Research by the Gas Safety Register highlights the dangers of employing unregistered gas engineers

It's shocking to think that almost five million people in the UK are putting themselves and their families at risk by employing illegal gas engineers who aren't properly qualified to do the job.

Recent figures based on research by the Gas Safety Register, following four years of investigations into unqualified and unregistered gas fitters, showed that 65% of jobs carried out by illegal fitters were unsafe and that one in five of the appliances they fitted were so dangerous that immediate disconnection was required.

 


Landlords need to take responsibility for tenant gas safety

New research from Gas Safe Register suggests that landlords’ unawareness of their gas safety responsibilities could be putting 2.7 million renters at risk. 

The data, which was gathered over a period of 5 years, found that more than a third (37%) of landlords do not realise that it is their responsibility to ensure that that gas appliances provided by them are safety checked every year by a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer.  In fact, one-in-seven landlords (15%) wrongly believe that gas appliance safety is the responsibility of their local council.


HSE shows support for MOT style gas safety certificates

Since the launch of its Gas Access Campaign back in November 2013, the Association for Gas Safety Managers (AGSM) has lobbied to raise awareness of the benefits of moving to an MOT style of Landlord’s Gas Safety Record (LGSR) as well as calling on the government to beef up legal powers allowing social landlords better access to their properties to carry out gas safety checks.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) have now put their weight behind the campaign, initiating a comprehensive consultation process on all aspects of the change.


Prime time CO warnings, sign the petition

The heating industry, utility companies and the government have been urged to play a greater part in educating householders on the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO), as pressure increases to reduce the number of deaths and health problems caused by the deadly gas.

 


Gas Industry Unsafe Situations Procedure inspection begins 1 July 2016

The lead in period allowing businesses and engineers 12 months to update their procedures in line with Edition 7 of the Gas Industry Unsafe Situations Procedure (GIUSP) is soon to expire. 

As from 1 July 2016, Gas Safe registered engineers and businesses will be inspected in line with the new edition of the guidelines, but are encouraged to adopt the revised procedure as soon as possible.


Carbon Monoxide detector laws tightened in Scotland

Laws relating to carbon monoxide detectors in private rented accommodation have been tightened up in Scotland. 

As from 1st December 2015, Scottish landlords are required to install a CO detector in every space containing a fixed combustion appliance.  In their Statutory Guidance the Scottish Government advise landlords that “combustion appliances such as boilers, fires, heaters and stoves fuelled by solid fuel, oil or gas all have the potential to cause CO poisoning if they are poorly installed or commissioned, inadequately maintained or incorrectly used.”

 


Industry to champion new safety certificate for landlords

Thursday 10th December has been earmarked as ‘The Private Rented Sector Safety Shocks’ event, held in Westminster, which will see representatives from across the public and private sectors come together to discuss improving safety in private rented housing.


Landlords unaware of new carbon monoxide law

Do you have landlords in your customer base? Are you a landlord yourself? Did you know that from October 1st landlords must have working carbon monoxide detectors fitted in any room with a solid fuel burning combustion appliances.


Gas safety for insulation and external cladding installers

Logic Certification has launched a Gas Safety Awareness Course for Cavity Wall & Loft Insulation Installers and/or External Cladding Installers to help prevent tragic incidences like the recently highlighted case of 83 year old pensioner, Joyce Moore, who died from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning following cavity wall insulation blocking her boiler.

 


Raising standards in rented accommodation

New regulations announced this week will make it illegal for landlords to rent out the most energy inefficient homes. From April 2018, landlords will be required to install energy saving measures in properties which fall into the two worst energy efficiency ratings, Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) Bands “F” and “G”. From April 2016, landlords of privately rented homes will be required to accept reasonable requests from tenants for energy efficiency measures to be installed. 


Back to top